Monday, September 24, 2007

Taking Slackhood to a Whole...Nubba...Lebbuh

Aw, durn it, my lazy ass got busted. Somewhat literally. In stage one of laziness, I posted a picture of some big Tonka toy dump trucks hauling something very important to hither and/or yon and asked you fine people to take a stab at identifying the location. I thought it would be fun--all right, easy--to stick it up on the ol' board and see who bit. And you lovely folks, you stepped right up and threw out your best, and possibly researched, guesses. Now I must confess that I have let you down. How, you ask? Well, in the following ways:

1. I had no idea what the name of that place was to begin with. Sure, I used to know, but "used to know" is as good as "never knew at all" in my head.
2. I could have, in one phone call or a quick google search, found out the name. But I didn't.
2b. I specifically told Doris Rose that she could not play because she had been standing at my side when I took that picture. Or possibly she took that picture her own self and gave me an e-copy. That's how lazy I am, not even taking my own pictures.
3. When Moi tossed out something with "Open Pit Mine" in it, I jumped on it like a cat on a grasshopper. Like my cat on a grasshopper, actually--you should see that girl go. No insect is safe with her around. But I digress, perhaps in hopes of distracting you. Is it working?? No? Dang.
d. With actual entries to judge, one might think that I'd be motivated to do the research, wouldn't one?? Hmm.....nope. I deemed "Chino Open Pit Mine" the winner with nary a backward glance. This was stage two of laziness. At least.
V. When Doris Rose questioned why she couldn't play, since it apparently wasn't the place she thought it was, I tried to distract her with a mumbling and what I hoped might pass for cute response. She kindly let it pass. Stage three.

All of this is to say, NO, I DIDN'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY OWN DANG QUESTION. I am not worker bee, I am slacker bee. I hope you haven't despaired or written me off for good, though, because there's good news in all this:

I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH NOW!

Yes, it only took being politely called out to make me snort and alert myself enough to check the facts. And here it is, only a day late and a dollar short: Everybody's right! Well, at least Moi and Doris Rose. And AJ, 'cause he himself is just so right. And anyone else who wants to be, because we all need to be right sometimes. It turns out that Santa Rita is the name of the town where the El Chino Open Pit Mine is located. This makes my heart happy, because I don't like to give kudos and then take them away. So now we can all rest a little easier.

Please allow me to give you my mea culpa, my lo siento, but not my promise to do better next time. Because, frankly, I won't, and I don't want any of us to be disappointed. I will promise, however, to do my best to make you laugh or to point out my own foibles so that you can feel better about yours, not that you have any. And if that doesn't work, I'll bring over a box of wine and give you glass after glass until you tell me you love me.

13 comments:

Doris Rose said...

What a Brave Little Cowgirl! and I believed you anyway. I thought there was a mine in Tajique. I did go back and look at my pictures but didn't have a shot of the open pit.snecky snecky. and LOL!

Anonymous said...

arriba! time for mojito and crispy stellas on the patio!

i started the wine early. and i loooooooooooove you...*snif*

A.Fanny said...

I KNEW IN MY HEART that it was the El Chino Open Pit Mine in Santa Rita - so I get the wine too. Come immediately to North Hollywood where I am waiting.

A.Fanny said...

Second thought - just send the wine.

Second thought #2 is that you are indeed SlackGirl since you did not take part in Doris Rose's story writing contest of a few days ago, which leaves ME pitted against MOI! That shivers me timbers and probably has Doris in a HUGE Quandary!

moi said...

Actually, I like a.fanny's story better than mine. To the point and funny, whereas I just ambled on in my usual long-ass sentence style.

So, uh, bottom line here is that I still won, right?

And could somebody please tell me what crispy stellas are? I swear, I heart your famblee, but sometimes I have NO IDEA what aaaarrrrr j is commenting about. Is it code?

Wicked Thistle said...

Oh, dear, what a maelstrom of responses. Where to start??

*Yes, Moi, no worries, you still wear the crown!!

*a.fanny: RUDE to invite me and then withdraw the invitation. I'm coming anyway. I know where you live.

*Yes, I confess also to slacking on DR's story, but I have assured her I will Get Around To It. What's my deadline, DR??

*I think crispy stellas are whatever you want them to be, Moi. The key to AJ is this--don't try to understand him, just let him seep slowly in to your psyche, kind of like goo. Eventually you will come to a knowingness that you cannot explain, but that makes you nod your head at his comments and say, "yesssssss..." Or not.

*Seriously, AJ, what *are* crispy stellas?? They sound goooooood. Now I'm hungry.

A.Fanny said...

Invitation to North Hollywood is open in perpetuity - just attempting to facilitate reception of MY WINE.

Orangeblossoms said...

This was gloriously honest. I, personally, love this kind of truth-- even when it's hard to say. You get to be so liberated when you're done with it! Three cheers!

Anonymous said...

Re the crispy stella--go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Artois

and see "In popular culture" section, a reference to online comic Achewood (the wiki currently is incorrect here; it's "crispy", not "crunchy").

it's pretty nondescript stuff actually; but how could i ever argue with popular culture? it'd kick my arse. and *anything* is good when you're finally on the patio...like a delicious frosty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Grimbergen_Blonde.jpg

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !!!!!

Wicked Thistle said...

aj: i love you're obtuse self.

Anonymous said...

dammit WT what's obtuse about drinking beer? you and me, we're gonna have a go at it real soon, and i swear i'm gonna whup yo ass.

ooooorrrrrr, perhaps i'll hand you a delicious grimbergen instead.

Anonymous said...

durn, it doesn't help that the wikipedia Stella Artois entry lost the "In popular culture" section to which i referred, just moments after i to-which-i-referred it. which makes my spiel here look even *more* obtuse.

yes, it comes out of my mouth and sounds normal to me; the next sound i hear is someone else saying "huh?" or worse, just...looking...at...me.

they say it's just part of how my type of brain works. but i say, "catch up, world! DAMMIT!"

Wicked Thistle said...

heyo j: shhhhhh, shh, shhh, shhhhh...