Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Helloooooo (echo echo echo)!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a REAL-LIVE-IN-PERSON celebrity in my life. I equivocate on this because I forget a lot of stuff, and so it's possible that I spent some time with Jimmy Buffett in the 80s and just don't recall. I simply don't know.

Anyhoo, I have a blog now to log these sorts of things in for eternity, plus telling you guys about it means that you can remind me later after I've completely forgotten (fast forward to party scene):

Me: (sigh) I sure would like to see a celebrity some time.

You guys: But Wicked, you have seen a celebrity. Remember, you blogged about it on July 14th of 2009.

Me: I did?

You guys: Yeah.

Me: Oh. (thoughtful pause) Who was it?

So see what a public service you're all providing? Thank you from the bottom of my heart and the empty spots in my brain. We appreciate it.

Moving along, you may have guessed by now that I have had what may have been my first celebrity sighting!! Woo hoo! And it was not only a sighting, my friends, it was an elbow jostling, direct eye contact, reach-out-and-touch-the-celebrity stalker moment if ever there was one. Oh, yeah. Hollywood, here I come.
Not really.

So here's the story: I was at the International Folk Art Festival in Santa Fe last weekend. Hot as the dickens, I might add, and a parking arrangement that fell just short of a robust hike, but an adventure nonetheless. Santa Fe, as many of you know, is just so Santa Fe-ey. People dress like Santa Fe, they wear their hair like Santa Fe, they smell like Santa Fe. They are so them, and you are so not them. (Okay, it wasn't quite so exaggerated as all this, but what's the point of blogging if you can't use it to explore your dramatic side?) So there I was, elbowing my way through the crowd, sweating onto all the textiles and beading and tinwork and Guatemalan bags when I found myself face to face with this woman:


Maybe looking a little more mature, sure, but definitely her. I know because her name badge said, "Ali McGraw." Had she not been wearing a name badge, I would have thought, Gee, that woman looks familiar. Wonder if we worked at the university together? That's what I do now--I think everyone I see looks like they fit into some time frame from my life, and I get all caught up in figuring out how I know them. When that doesn't work--as it usually doesn't, since I've never met these folks before in my life--I just figure we all worked at the university together. It's a system that works, giving me satisfaction while reducing the stress of actually having to use my brain, so don't go judging on me. Fortunately, she had on the name badge, which diverted me from having to use any unnecessary mental energy on a hot day.

So there we were, Ali and me, looking at each other for a fragment of a second and coming close to something really meaningful. Instead, she simply shifted her glance beyond me and began talking to her assistant, with whom she does have a meaningful relationship, I'm sure.

Still, it was good for me.

If there's anyone out there still reading this blog, please do share your close-up celebrity experiences. I know you have one. If you don't, make one up; hey, I just did (ha ha, just kidding!!) Seriously, spill it. I'm ready.

4 comments:

Doris Rose said...

Yay Thistle, how fun...and all the better because it was a surprise AND she had a name tag so you could be sure. I've had a few fun ones, I'll give names and see if I can remember the stories for bloggy: Charleton Heston, Charlie Ruggles, Sandy Dennis,Gerry Mulligan (her husband) Brenda Vacaro,Bruce Boxleitner, Irv Kupcinet, Ann-Margaret, Irene Dailey and Jo Ann Falletta (you forgot, you met her, too, while we were at the University)hahahaha

Great idea.

A.Fanny said...

Glad you're back!

Now, was SHE very Santa Fe - or very Hollywood? You, of course, are so Albuquerque, and we love it that way.

OK - Bernadette Peters - sitting at an espresso bar. She ordered her latte with non-fat milk. Then the waitress asked me if I wanted whole milk, 2% or non-fat. I frowned and said, "I want FAT milk!" I looked at Bernadette and we all cracked up.

A.Fanny said...

I do fear this blog has fallen prey to Sir Walter Scott's quotation of today! Maybe you have just left us for Twitter! So this is what they meant in FutureShock! Ah, well, 2012, we await our fate.

old man AJ said...

eeeeeeeeeeek! FAMOUSNESS!