Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Morning With Fred

From Frederick Buechner's book, Listening to Your Life:

In Christ's parable, a third man finally did come along, of course. He looked, really looked, and saw not just a man, a man, a man, but saw what was actually sprawled out there in the dust with most of the life whaled out of him. He bound up his wounds, set him on his own beast, took care of him, and his reward was to go down in fame as the Good Samaritan, which seems to be a marvelously inept title somehow, because just as I prefer to think of the priest and the Levite as less than really bad, more just half blind, in the same way I prefer to think of the Samaritan as more than merely good. I prefer to think that the difference between the Samaritan and the other two was not just that he was more morally sensitive than they were but that he had, as they had not, the eye of a poet or a child or a saint--an eye that was able to look at the man in the ditch and see in all its extraordinary unexpectedness the truth itself, which was that at the deepest level of their being, he and that other one there were not entirely separate selves at all. Not really at all.

Your life and my life flow into each other as wave flows into wave, and unless there is peace and joy and freedom for you, there can be no real peace or joy or freedom for me. To see reality--not as we expect it to be but as it is--is to see that unless we live for each other and in and through each other, we do not really live very satisfactorily; that there can really be life only where there really is, in just this sense, love. This is not just the way things ought to be. Most of the time it is not the way want things to be. It is the way things are. And not for one instant do I believe that it is by accident that it is the way things are. That would be quite an accident.




4 comments:

old man AJ said...

you can't hardly understand *anything* until after you've had the life nearly whaled out of you at least once. i always saw the parabled samaritan as one who acted out of trust in empathy.

~MAGILL~ said...

Thank You

Aunty Belle said...

Buechner is good. I read his BRENDAN.

Happy Summer break, Wicked.

Doris Rose said...

Being on the slow side, I had to read this a few more times before I could really take it in. I get it and I think I have always gotten it but have wasted far too much of my time striving to find the “ separateness” that would somehow make me feel more unique and less like everyone else. Of course, it wasn’t until recently that I understood the piece about living in the Now.